Tuesday 29 May 2012

I will never be the same again

For the past few weeks we have been experiencing life without television. I can honestly say that I seldom miss it. At first it was a little odd in the evenings, to have settled the kids into bed, made a cup of tea and then instead of picking up the remote i've been picking up a book. My heart has been convicted, warmed, challenged, made ill by some of the truths I've been taking in.

Most recently, I started to read 'Crazy Love' by Francis Chan. Near the start of the book he encourages the reader to put the book down and look up this YouTube clip. I would encourage you to watch it, just so you know where I'm coming from.



The short clip shows in ever increasing distance the known size of our Universe. I'm reeling still at the thought of just how big our God truly is. At the very least, it confirms what my heart has known to be true - that all of creation could not have been an accident.

In the days that followed I mentioned to Jay that I was having trouble perceiving who God is on an intimate level after really acknowledging His vastness. I feel that the Universe must stretch even further than the Hubble telescope's impressive range. This element of who God is has always been known in my head but somehow it doesn't penetrate my heart on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. I have begun to wonder how well I really know my Father. I've been seeing these verses in a new light:

Isaiah 55:8-9 8 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts."

As I've been wondering where to go with this blog, I've almost expected to round it off in a pleasant, "whatta ya know, I've found my intimate relationship again. Now I'm back to normal!"

I am not back to normal.

It seems I didn't pay close enough attention to the verses I cited. In fact last night I felt awakened again by the most uncomfortable of subjects - one that I have no claim to understand. Hell.

A while back I heard of book that was becoming popular that heralded the great news that God isn't going to send people to Hell anymore! As lovely as that sounds I'll just say it scared me that one man could claim he has understood the thoughts of a Holy God and has translated His Word in a way that could lead people in a false security all the way to Hell.

It's making me uncomfortable to write this, perhaps it's uncomfortable to read too. The Bible talks about people who will be sent away from God's presence who call "Lord, Lord!" - people who think they're safe and have their 'get into Heaven pass.' It made me stop and think - really think. How can I make sure I'm not one of those people! How can I be sure of my own eternal destiny?! How can I lead others into hope and faith if there is a chance I am not right with the Creator of the Universe, of all things seen and unseen? This is not a small thing. This is THE thing. Of all the small things and big things going on in our lives right now, this is the only thing that matters. At the end of this life it won't matter what anyone else did. I will be on my own before my God. Our decisions while on earth will determine our eternal life or eternal death.

To be sure to choose life both in Heaven and here on earth I need to do three things. First, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ - that brings me on par with the demons who believe in Him and tremble, so clearly that's not enough. Second, I need to confess my wrongdoings, my sin (what an unpopular word these days!) and claim forgiveness from the one who took the punishment for my sin. The one who defeated death and Hell through serving my death sentence. The one who rose again, who is now alive evermore and seated on the right hand of the Father in Heaven. The Lord Jesus Christ. Thirdly, and perhaps the most looked over, I need to live a life changed by the Holy Spirit living in me. A life of obedience to the commands of my Saviour, a life uncompromised! Number 3 should be the evidence of 1 and 2. To live moment by moment with Jesus, to do good works - not for mans praise - but so people will see the evidence of Christ in me, that my life would bring Glory to God.

So as I come to the end of this blog I have come to a new realisation. I will never be back to normal. I don't want to be back to normal. If I want to move on with Jesus, if I truly desire to know my God more, then I will be changed - daily!

I will never be the same again, Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment